Saturday 12 November 2011

Our True Identity In Christ

I was reading something in Ephesians last night and was very briefly considering my identity before Father God and the things of my earthly life that may have affected the way I see God and how I see myself before Him.

I have been greatly blessed to have had an earthly father who has taught and guided me well, and lived and lived out the Christian faith for most of my life. He has taught me so much about being faithful to God, to God’s calling, of how to honour those around us set apart in leadership, and also how to lead the people of God and to love those we would rather just walk away from. He has also taught me how to recognise within myself where I may be wandering away from the correct path and how when I have made mistakes to get myself back on the road God calls me to travel on.

And I was (she has passed away now) as equally privileged to have a mum that taught me and demonstrated to me heavenly values, and a strength and depth in our faith and our daily walk with God. She showed how to love, how to forgive and how to honour another persons ministry and support and be part of that.

And I have a younger brother, Chris, who leads the Christian life by example, stepping out in faith to follow the calling of Daddy God and who now lives as a full time ministry doing amazing miracles and not least changing lives by brining many people to salvation n Christ. This from a guy who if you had looked on the outside you would see a non academic builder and carpenter and not a teacher of ministers and church leaders, an apostle, (well the writing was on the wall with the carpentry, wasn’t another famous teacher a carpenter too? J) a leader himself within his church fellowship, and now a very real inspiration to his older brother (that’s me by the way) and those around him and those he comes in contact with.

I thank God that He “Does not choose the equipped but equips those that He chooses”!!!!

Anyway back to my ponderings on identity.

As I was reading through Ephesians I came across a piece in my bible (it is a “study bible” with lots of additional notes and commentary) that talked about “Our True Identity In Christ” and I want to share that here by writing out exactly what it had:

We are justified (declared righteous)                                   Romans 3:24
No condemnation awaits us                                               Romans 8:1
We are set free from the power of sin that leads to death      Romans 8:2
We are sanctified (made holy) in Jesus Christ                       1 Corinthians 1:2
We are pure and holy in Christ                                           1 Corinthians 1:30
We will be given new life in the resurrection                        1 Corinthians 15:22
We are new people                                                           2 Corinthians 5:17
We are made right with God                                              2 Corinthians 5:21
We are one in Christ with all other believers                         Galatians 3:28
We are blessed with every spiritual blessing in Christ             Ephesians 1:3
We are holy and without fault                                             Ephesians 1:4
We are adopted as Gods children                                        Ephesians 1:5, 6
Our sins are taken away, and we are forgiven                      Ephesians 1:7
We will be brought under Gods authority                                      Ephesians 1:10, 11
We are identified as belonging to Christ by the Holy Spirit     Ephesians 1:13
We have been raised up to sit with Christ in heaven              Ephesians 2:6
We are Gods masterpiece                                                   Ephesians 2:10
We have been brought near to God                                     Ephesians 2:13
We share in the promise of blessings through Christ             Ephesians 3:6
We can come boldly and confidently into Gods presence       Ephesians 3:12
We are members of Christ’s body, the church                       Ephesians 5:29, 30
We are made complete in Christ                                         Colossians 2:10
We are set free from our sinful nature                                 Colossians 2:11
We will have eternal glory                                                  2 Timothy 2:10

I am sure there are many other references that could have been used for this and other areas not included but WOW…………………

I have highlighted a few that when I contemplate them they start to make my brain spin.

I so often look at my faults, about what I do wrong and allow them to be a barrier to the potential that I could be if I will let God work through me. If I then look at the fact that “I am His masterpiece” and “I am holy and without fault” then oh my word who am I to block Gods path.

So I wanted to share this, and I am going to continue to consider these things, and I know one thing above all else………..

I AM A FRIEND OF GOD!!!

If I have nothing else being God’s friend is more than anyone could ever dare to hope for but through Jesus Christ that is exactly who I am.

God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment